I hear you! It can be tough to please all the members of your household when there are intolerances, allergies and nut free school requests. Now you can still give everyone a choccie fix without the refined sugar, grains (therefore gluten), dairy and nuts. This recipe ticks all the boxes and can be adapted further to create a lower fructose option.
Along with the refreshing essential oil aroma and taste, there is one secret ‘filler’ ingredient that not even my sister could detect (who is very well versed with grain free cooking). Nope, it not nut meal, seed meal, tapioca or sweet potato… it’s black beans! Sounds a bit strange, but trust me, they create a moist brownie that will please everyone’s chocolate cravings (yep even a pregnant woman 😉 ). If you missed me talking about my pregnancy choccie craving, you can read more about my second tri experience over here.
This delish recipe was based on doTERRA’s Black Beans Brownies and I have made a few adjustments to suit what I had in my pantry.
Grain & Nut Free Brownies
What you’ll need:
• 1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed (I use Absolute Organics)
• 2 eggs
• ¼ cup raw cacao powder
• 2/3 cup raw honey (swap this out or use half rice malt syrup for a low fructose option)
• 1/3 cup organic, cold pressed, unrefined coconut oil
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ teaspoon gluten free baking powder
• Pinch Himalayan salt
• 5 drops Wild Orange essential oil* or 3 drops Peppermint essential oil
• ¾ cup dark chocolate melts, blitzed (I use these 100% organic cacao ones) / dark choc chips
What you’ll need to do:
• Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
• Grease a 10 x 20cm (approximately) baking dish or pan with coconut oil
• Add all ingredients (except chocolate melts/ chips) into a food processor and blitz until mixture is smooth
• Stir through ¾ of your blitzed chocolate melts/ chocolate chips
• Pour mixture into baking dish/ pan and top with the remaining chocolate
• Bake for 35 minutes and cool before cutting
• Serve by themselves or with coconut yoghurt
Happy guilt free baking!
ps. Do you want more healthy recipe inspo for the months ahead? You’ll like this one I created 🙂
*Note: Not all essential oils are created equally. I use doTERRA 100% pure essential oils due to their strict purity and quality standards. Each batch is tested for traces of solvents, pesticides, synthetics, fillers or any other chemical residues. They are solely bottled pure plant extracts. If they don’t pass the test, they simply are not bottled. This can be checked by entering the unique code on the bottom of each (single oil) bottle at www.sourcetoyou.com. The oils are also sourced from where they are indigenously grown (or where the highest quality plant for the oil can be found) in a sustainable and ethical way to support the farmers and the wider community. Higher purity and quality means increased therapeutic value.
If you would like to learn more about how these powerful gifts of nature can support your health, happiness and home, leave me a message over here.